Polypropylene is a versatile thermoplastic polymer with unique chemical properties. It’s well-suited for a diverse spectrum of products, from textiles to automotive components and much more, making it one of the most widely used synthetic plastics in the world. At Plastic Design, Inc., we provide custom polypropylene fabrication services for demanding industries and applications.
Polypropylene Fabrication Capabilities
Plastic Design, Inc. specializes in machining and fabricating polypropylene, as well as other thermoplastics like polycarbonate and acrylic . Polypropylene is a high-strength material that offers moisture and impact resistance. It is also highly resistant to chemical bases, acids, and solvents. We offer several polypropylene formulations, including FDA-compliant formulations.
Our polypropylene fabrication capabilities include:
- CNC machining: Our software-controlled cutting, drilling, tapping, forming, and other CNC machining functions shape various materials with high precision. The finished piece matches our clients’ exact designs every time, and tight quality controls ensure even our largest production runs result in 100% identical parts.
- Grinding: Grinding is often used in conjunction with milling to remove plastic chips, flashing, burrs, and surface defects. Unlike milling, however, grinding does not use intermittent cutting, but rather continual contact removal to correct these imperfections and create highly functional plastic parts that stringently adhere to design specifications.
- Bending: Using heaters and ovens, we can precisely form or line-bend Polypropylene.
Our 30,000-square-foot facility is fully equipped to handle even the most challenging project needs. You can learn more about our plastic machining capabilities and see examples of past work on our website.
With over 45 years of experience in the plastics industry, Plastic Design, Inc. is here to answer any questions you might have about machining polypropylene. The following are some of our most frequently asked questions.
What Is Polypropylene?
Sometimes abbreviated as PP, polypropylene is a crystalline thermoplastic made by combining multiple propene monomers. It is a type of polyolefin slightly harder than polyethylene that is easily copolymerized with other polymers to produce highly versatile materials. Its chemical formula is (C3H6)n.
Polypropylene is a commodity plastic that is characterized by its low density and high resistance to heat. Depending on how it’s formulated and produced, it can either be hard or soft, conductive or insulating, light or heavy, as well as various other characteristics.
What Are the Properties of Polypropylene?
Out of all types of commodity plastics, polypropylene has the lowest density, but fillers and additives can be incorporated into its formulation to raise the density when needed. It is comparable to HDPE in engineered plastic applications due to its toughness and flexibility. Polypropylene is a highly flammable material that is resistant to most organic solvents and fats at room temperature. It is also water-repellent and retains its mechanical and electrical properties in humid conditions and at elevated temperatures.
Another key characteristic of polypropylene is that it is easy to recycle, so manufacturers prefer using the material to make their products more eco-friendly. Household products that are made from recyclable polypropylene are stamped with the recycling icon and the number 5.
What Is Polypropylene Used For?
Polypropylene’s slippery surface texture makes it an ideal choice for applications that require low-friction substrates, like gears. Additionally, its toughness and flexibility make it perfectly suited for living hinges. Some other common components made from polypropylene include:
- Automotive parts
- Pump and valve parts
- Processing equipment components
- Electronic components
- Packaging materials
- Cast films
- Consumer goods
- Custom plastic tanks
What Are the Advantages of Polypropylene?
For many applications, polypropylene’s physical characteristics offer impressive benefits, such as:
- High elasticity and toughness
- Good fatigue and chemical resistance
- Resistance to acids, bases, water, detergents, and more
- Resistance to cracking under stress, even when flexed
Contact Plastic Design, Inc. for Your Polypropylene Fabrication Needs
If you’re considering polypropylene for your application, our team can deliver an innovative and high-performing solution. Plastic Design, Inc. offers a range of expertly fabricated products that can be found in our online catalog, as well as custom-developed solutions. Whether you need a single prototype or a large production run, our ISO 9001:2015-certified facility is here to support your needs.