In highly technical fields like biomedical, pharmaceutical, microelectronics, and photonics, precision is critical. When you need plastic welding services, it is important to find a company with expertise, experience, and high quality standards to ensure dependable results. For over 40 years, industry-leading companies have trusted Plastic Design, Inc. to provide cutting-edge technology, precise fabrication, and unwavering commitment to quality.
Plastic Welding Process
The use of thermoplastics in parts creates a demand for joining processes that can accommodate intricate joint lines. Plastic welding is a process similar to metal welding that creates a permanent, molecular bond between thermally sensitive components. Plastic welding eliminates the need for adhesives or mechanical fasteners to create a single part from multiple pieces. Plastic Design offers a variety of plastic welding methods, but our most common process is hot gas welding.
Hot gas welding is a type of plastic welding process that joins thermoplastic materials using a hot-gas torch that directs hot air to the joint surface and weld rod. Once the materials have softened from the heat, the heated weld rod is pressed to the joint surface, bonding the materials together to complete the weld. This process is capable of bonding small and intricate components and is also ideal for repairs.
Advantages of Plastic Welding
Plastic welding offers many advantages over other bonding processes, including:
- Cost-effective. Plastic welding eliminates the need for extra solvents, reduces energy outputs, and has a low cycle time, which increases productivity with lower costs per unit.
- Fast and clean. Since there is no weld flash with plastic welding, it is a safe, fast, and simple process. The end product has a cleaner look with invisible or nearly seamless lines.
- Highly versatile. No matter the size or geometry, plastic welding provides a huge range of versatility. Plastic welding can accommodate high-volume orders quickly.
- Permanent. The molecular bond created from plastic welding is permanent; therefore, you can be assured that any internal components remain safe and undisturbed.
- Works with almost all thermoplastic polymers. Very few thermoplastic polymers cannot be welded. If your company uses many thermally-sensitive plastics, plastic welding should be effective for nearly all of them.
Precision Welding and Machining Services from Plastic Design, Inc.
Plastic welding is a highly effective, permanent bonding process for thermoplastic parts that provides many benefits. Plastic Design, Inc. has experience and expertise in many varieties of plastic welding, especially hot gas welding. Our 30,000 sq. ft. IPCA 620 and ISO 9001:2015 certified facility enables us to provide state-of-the-art CNC machining for milling, drilling, and boring many forms of plastic parts for multiple industries.
From one-off prototypes to full production runs, our team is here to serve your project needs on time, on budget, and with the most stringent quality standards. For more information about our products or services, contact us or request a quote today.